Preparing For Your Lung Function Test
Lung function tests involve breathing into a machine which measures various aspects of breathing capacity. It does not involve any exercise.
You do not need to fast before lung function testing.
For standard lung function tests, it is recommended that inhalers be stopped before the test, if it is safe for you to do so:
- If possible, no Ventolin, Respolin, Atrovent, Bricanyl, Asmol, Ipratrin, Airomir, should be taken for 4 hours prior to the test.
- If possible, no Serevent, Seretide, Oxis, Symbicort, Flutiform, Foradile or Bretaris, should be taken for 12 hours.
- If possible, no Spiriva, Incruse, Seebri, Spiolto, Brimica, Breo, Onbrez, Anoro, TrelegyotUltibro should be taken for 24 hours.
Before mannitol challenge tests:
- No tea, coffee, chocolate, or caffeinated drinks or foods should be consumed on the test day.
- No smoking for at least 1hour prior to test.
- No alcohol within 4 hours of testing
- Do not eat a large meal within 2 hours of testing
- No vigorous exercise within 30 min of testing
- No medicine such as Ventolin, Respolin, Bricanyl, Asmol , Airomir, for 8 hours
- No medicine such as Ipratrin, Atrovent, for 12 hours
- No long acting medicines such as Seretide, Serevent, Foradile, Oxis, Symbicort, Flutiform or Brimica for 24 hours.
- No inhaled steroids such as Pulmicort, Flixotide, QVAR, Alvesco for 24 hours
- No oral steroids such as Prednisolone, Prednisone, Dexamethasone, for 3 days.
- No Spiriva, Incruse, Seebri, Spiolto, Ulitbro or Bretaris for 3 days.
- No antihistamine for 3 days
- No Singulair for 4 days